Friday, August 30, 2013

cheating the goals?

I am a believer in goal setting; measureable, achievable with some effort, and including a deadline.  It is said, that measured goals, over which you have control, will be achieved.  So measuring rain fall and hoping for more (or less) doesn't fit that scenario. Measuring weight loss or income (if you are self employed) or square feet gardened, do fit.



For me, the accountability, or measurement is key, really key.  Daily measurement is best as the goal is kept top of mind. I have a weight loss goal, set in early June, to be achieved by August 31 (tomorrow).  Yesterday, I was within four ounces of my goal.  Mind you, I weigh myself on the same scale at the same time in my daily routine.  Four ounces in two days seemed reasonable.  But...I knew I'd be watching foot ball at a sports bar last night (not usually a low calorie place).

So this morning, I hop out of bed and promptly weigh myself; not my usual weighing time.  ta da!  I weigh a whole eight ounces below my goal!!!  Wowie, hooray!  Not really.  Because, even though the number on the scale said what I wanted it to, I cheated.  I know I cheated.  The real reckoning will be when weigh myself at the proper time.  I'll let you know...

Do you ever cheat yourself?  How does it feel?

 p.s. I also have some rebel in me.  If I'm not careful, I'll rebel against my own goal.  Who am I to tell me what to do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment