Please, please, please check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These devices are relatively inexpensive, and save lives. If you are in a rental either check, or ask the property owner/manager to check and provide proof of up to date devices.
Here are the State of Oregon requirements. The City of Portland has more rigorous requirements (I believe Eugene may have the same requirements as the City of Portland).
Carbon monoxide detectors are required if: there is a combustion device in the property, or an attached garage. Think of combustion devices as anything that burns, or has a flame; gas appliances (including gas clothes dryers), gas hot water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves etc. Properties that are all electric, without attached garages, do not need carbon monoxide detectors.
The smoke detector/alarm rules are too specific for me to summarize. But here are a few tips. If your home has devices that are hard wired, meaning they draw electricity from your electric service, not from a battery, replacements should also be hard wired. And hard wired devices should have a battery back-up in case your electricity is off. Non-hard wired detectors/alarms must have a 10 year battery. All smoke alarms/detectors should be replaced at least every 10 years. All of them. They have a life span, and can be ineffective after ten years.
I know you think yours are in order. I know you are sure you just replaced those a few years ago. Humor me. Please check. And get in touch with me if you have questions. I won't know all the answers, but I can sure help find them!