Saturday, June 9, 2012

My New Energy Friend?





Every since we had Imagine Energy do that energy audit last year I have lusted after a smart thermostat.  Or maybe I have lusted after heating that can be controlled zonally (cooler in the bedroom, warmer in the dining room at night, cooler in the dining room in the morning and so on).  Indeed, there are many products out there that can achieve these goals.  Just bring money.  But I am intrigued by the  Nest.  No, it won't do zonal easily,  but it sure looks like it does a heck of a lot more than my circa 1990 programmable thermostat.

I didn't even know I needed a new energy friend!  I already have Sonny Boy, who tells me all about the solar energy production.  But Sonny has a bit of a one track mind, where as Nest seems to be a bit more worldly.

Nest looks so cool, I wanted to own one before I learned anything about it!  I like how easy it appears to   control Nest both manually and from afar via an iPhone. I like that Nest can learn from previous usage and gives feedback about energy efficiency and savings.  Nest seems to be positioning themselves a bit like their Palo Alto neighbor, Apple.  It appears Nest customers don't just get a thermostat, they get an energy consultant, a monthly energy report; new energy friend.  Even their packaging has that je ne sais pas, understated coolness.  Heck folks might even pay the $249 price just for the look, and the new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment