Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Radon Test Results!

We had placed a 90 day radon test in our house, well about four months ago.  In my work I see many houses with high results on radon tests.  The E.P.A estimates one in fifteen homes have elevated radon levels.  As I have spent a few years encouraging my clients to test for radon, it really was our turn.


The test is done with a small "canister", about an inch high and two inches across, best placed away from windows and doors, and heat registers.  We put ours on the buffet in the dining room.  I'm not sure Don ever really saw it.  Being an over achiever, I let the canister sit there  a bit beyond the 90 day minimum, and then sent it in using the handy envelope provided with the test.  We got our test from Eco-Tech. I believe you can order them by phone.  The actual test was from Accustar Labs, and it looks as though you can order direct from them.

 Conveniently,  I got the results in by e-mail.  Our radon level tested at 1.9 picoCuries per liter of air.  The World Health Organization suggests an action level of 2.7 picoCuries per liter of air.  The Environmental Protection Agency considers anything above 4 picoCuries per liter of air to be actionable.  I am very glad we came in below both those levels.  In Portland Area real estate transactions we see people abiding by the EPA level of 4 pico Curies per liter of air, with radon abatement usually being the responsibility of the seller.

In the coming weeks I'll talk address the questions, " what is so bad about radon anyway?"  and  "what do you do about high radon levels?"  If you'd like more information sooner, get in touch.  503-312-8038, leslievjones@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment