Sunday, March 11, 2012

Going Up?

In the 1980's I worked in a boutique hotel in San Francisco.  It was a quaint hotel, catering to artists performing at the San Francisco Ballet, Opera and Symphony.  With the quaint hotel, came a quaint and quirky elevator; quirky, not necessarily in a good way.  As the front desk manager, I got to ride in and provide customer service around what some might have considered a rather terrifying elevator.  Since then, I have had, on occasion, icky elevator dreams.  I'm not afraid of elevators, though I do prefer a  less than bumpy ride, an accurate ride and the ability to exit the elevator when appropriate.

This past week I stayed at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas during the RE/MAX International Convention.  Unbeknownst to me, at the time, the Luxor has famous elevators.  The Luxor is that black pyramid of a building.  As the elevator departs, one feels a bit of a horizontal sway, not a typical elevator feeling.  And as one nears one's floor, the horizontal sway is felt in the opposite direction.  No silent elevators here,  with guests staring at the illuminated numbers.  Most everyone comments on the sway.  So after a few days, I consulted my friend Google.

Come to find out, the elevators at the Luxor are considered one of the 10 Fascinating elevators in the world. They travel up the side of the pyramid at a 39 degree angle.  Wow, with this in mind, the slight sway I was feeling was minor.  The elevators are restricted to guests and require a key card to operate.  This system was designed in anticipation of the hoards of folks who would flock to the Luxor to ride this "attraction".  Not so. While the sway is noticeable, I certainly didn't feel as though I were in a fascinating elevator; one of those times when boring is good.

Do you have an elevator story to share?   No, not THAT kind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment