Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Some thoughts



This post is about racism.  These are some of my struggling thoughts these last days.

As a white woman of privilege, I'm really trying to listen, be supportive yet also express my anger and outrage at the systemic, relentless racism that continues to grip our nation.  It is not mine to tell black America how to feel or act; what forms of protest are best, more effective, more...acceptable.  It's not protest if its acceptable, is it?

My mother was raised in the Deep South, with all of then trappings in effect in the 40's and 50's.  As a young adult she heartily rejected then blatant racism of the south, and got out.  For her time, she was more aware of race and privilege than many.  She volunteered with "Women for Peace" in Chicago in the mid-sixties.  I have a vague childhood memory of seeing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. speak. I was so young, I was looking for the king, you know, with the crown and all.  I guess it speaks well for my mother, that she had held him in such esteem, I was looking for a king.  Mom mourned his death like none other.

Even with that upbringing, and some amount of awareness of racism and my white privilege, it is very easy for me to ignore, or conveniently be unaware of it.

My anger and outrage at the current state of America's racism,  aren't really the thing either. It's not about me. But, somewhere in that anger and outrage, I know, is buried some guilt.  It is not my first emotion, but it is there.  I'm anxious to use my  privilege to help.  I donate money. I read and listen.  I support local black owned businesses.  This is not enough.

Let me be clear, my anger is at the systemic racism.  Not at the protesters.  I don't love looting.  Some looting, I do see as a form of protest, based in anger, frustration and the system.  Looting has some power to it.  I do believe some looting is being perpetrated by folks who want to stir the pot; either to further the racial divide, or simply because they like the excitement.  And yes, I believe some looting is being done by opportunists, looting for the stuff.

Martin Luther King Jr, in writing about looting said," "Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena. They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest.
The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived Negro to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the Negro does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking. But most of all, alienated from society and knowing that this society cherishes property above people, he is shocking it by abusing property rights."

Martin Luther King also referenced this quote from Victor Hugo, 'If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.'  Our society has caused the darkness' and clearly continues to cause, the darkness.

I am encouraged.  I am encouraged that we see the beginnings of change.  I am encouraged that, mis-guided and too little too late as some of it seems, at least we are talking.  I am encouraged at specific proposals especially as related to policing and police unions.  

I was touched (not oh how sweet touched, but feeling it in my gut touched) by the young man who introduced Barack Obama a few weeks ago, Playon Patrick, and his poem,  So many strong words in that piece, I was struck by, "Tonight, a riot is the language of the unheard".  Give a listen.

In a conversation the other day, an acquaintance (white, male) commented that he wasn't thrilled with Trimet (our regional public transportation) removing the transit police in response to the Black Lives Matters/George Floyd protests.  He said he would feel less safe riding public transportation.  I thought for a moment, and then pointed out the black community has not felt safe riding public transportation because of the transit police.  So yes, he'll need to endure a bit of his white privileged discomfort to help our black community's be safer on public transport.

There is so much more to come, and come I hope it does.  There will be (and should be) discomfort to those of us with privilege.  Our (my) discomfort should come as society shifts, opens and listens.  There should be change, which is often uncomfortable.  Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment