Thursday, September 27, 2012

Who are we, anyway?

I succumbed to curiosity and bought that most recent Portland Monthly; the one with the citywide survey.  The cover really does pull one in.


Actually, the full list on the cover has God and Money above Sex and the rest.  So yeah, I made the impulse buy at the checkout stand, just as they hoped I would.  Did you?

While there are many interesting factoids in the survey, the real estate broker in me is most interested in the sections about housing and money.  For instance, while traditionally it is thought one shouldn't spend more than 30% of income on housing, in Portland, "More than a quarter of  PDX residents spend 40% or more of their take-home pay on housing".  That being said, 50% pay 20 percent or less; with the footnote that 18-34 year-olds are most likely to pay 5% or less.  I'm thinking the 18-34 year-olds may have some sort of subsidies, along with living in smaller housing - paying for a room in a house rather than an apartment.

Our thoughts on our jobs and money are interesting also.  The question was asked, " What is the least amount of money you need in the bank to feel rich?".  40% said they would need $10,000 or less in the bank to feel rich. and 28% said $100,000 in the bank would make them feel rich.  There was no discussion in the article what "feeling rich" means to respondents.  On some days, a full tank of gas, $40 in my wallet and yummy leftovers for lunch can make me feel rich. Around income tax time, when I really look at what has passed through my business and personal accounts, I can feel less rich.

And on income, while  Portland ranks 74th in the US for 5-year wage and salary growth"," 43% of us answered yes to "does my company pay me what my skills are worth?".  And lastly, on money, "If you make over $100,000, you likely believe you can make more money in another state".

Okay, a few of those factoids that also led me to make the impulse buy.  87% of us say "pull the plug" when asked, " If you're unable to live without life support instruments, would you want doctors to unplug you?".  It is nice to see this is consistent with Oregon's death with dignity accommodations. And I was very surprised to see 65% of us would put their kids in private and/or religious school if money weren't an issue.  Really?!  But then 57% of us think spanking is an appropriate form of punishment. and yes, that was in the Family section, not the Sex section.

Lots of other interesting stuff in there.  You can pick up a copy at most grocery stores or subscribe or  access some information on line:  Portland Monthly.

Oh, and if you do pick up the magazine, check out the Home Sweet Home postcard we'd make (pg. 128).






No comments:

Post a Comment