Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In Defense of the Warm Up Band

As do many of you, I enjoy seeing live music and make it a point to get out and do so every now and again.  Usually, I am spurred to action by a lead or headliner, and end up getting exposed to the opener, or warm up band.  Yes, no doubt, I am there to see the headliner.

But, along the way, with a bit of patience and an open mind, I have enjoyed and come to really like many warm up bands.  They do, if they are good, warm us up and get us in the mood.  They reflect a bit, on someone's taste affiliated with the band we have come to see.  If the promoter, venue, manager or someone thought to pair these folks together, maybe we should take notice.  Since my days of seeing mega bands in huge stadiums is long gone (anyone go to that Grateful Dead and The Who show at the Oakland Coliseum?), and I am much more about small, intimate settings, perhaps I am ripe for "warm up band appreciation"

And how else does a band get known and get stage time if not by being a warm up band?  Okay, maybe these days groups can go from internet sensation to the top of the play bill, but rarely.  Weren't they all a warm up band at some point?

So here are two warm up bands I was exposed to in the last year or so, and really enjoyed.  At the Decembrists' last show at the Edgefield, there were two warm up bands.  The first, from here in the Portland area, Ages and Ages.  My daughter  and I loved them!  Bought the CD and listen quite often.



And then just recently we were introduced the The Milk Carton Kids, who are touring with Over the Rhine this season.   They remind me of a young "Simon and Garfunkle", only better.  There is something so basic and grounding about the simplicity of one or two people and one or two instruments.  In this case, two guys and two guitars.  Give them a listen, or visit their website where they invite you to download their albums free of charge.





In the Milk Carton Kids case, I saw them as a warm up band in November and headliners in January!  Keep an eye on these guys.

Do you have a favorite music find you'd like to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment