Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tina Fey's Rules for Improv

I just finished Tina Fey's book, Bossypants.  And what a book it was.  Lots of good stuff in there, and I highly recommend the book.  One of the many things that stuck with me was her "Rules of Improvisation that Will Change Your Life and Reduce Belly Fat"  Not sure about that last part, but some of these rules sure apply to life also. 

1) "Agree and say yes.  Agree with what your partner had created and start from an open minded place." I really like this one.  It can apply to so many parts of our lives from relationships to collaborative work efforts and beyond. 

2) "Yes, and. Agree and then add something of your own."   Tina highlights this one as, don't be afraid to contribute.  Wow this is even better than #1.  For whatever reason it is far easier for folks to tear down what someone else has put forth, than it is to add a complimenting piece, or even add a unique contribution.  I'd even expand on this to say if you can't agree and add, then create something new.  I know, that might not be the best rule of improvisation, but it sure could work in life.  In our house, if you don't like what is planned for dinner, make a suggestion of your own, or be quiet.  I suppose "yes, and" would work like this.Me:   "We're having shrimp tacos for dinner".  Don or Emma, " yes, and let's have grilled salmon burgers too".  Okay, not a good example, as I'm not making both those things on the same night.  So maybe it becomes, No, but"  as in, "No, I don't want shrimp tacos, but how about salmon burgers". 

3) "Make Statements".  As in, don't ask questions all the time.  This could also be a good one for kids. This relates to "yes, and".  Put something out there of your own, questions and questioning can be a form of doubt, and down right lazy.  My daughter asks a lot of questions when she is tired as it is easier than formulating her own complete thoughts.  So make statements, don't be lazy.

And lastly,

4)"There are no mistakes, only opportunities"  Tina Fey extrapolates on this far better than I.  I'll only make this sound like all to motherly and fake.  Read Tina's book!

No comments:

Post a Comment