Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some New CDs in the car!

How do you find and purchase new music?  As a baby boomer, I'm still attached to the idea of the "album", or CD as the case may be.  Oh yeah. here and there I will buy a song from iTunes, but in general, I buy and load to my iPod, whole CDs.  And an affliction of baby boomers is full iPods as we load whole albums, not just songs here and there.

In my younger years, I found new music through the radio and friends.  But as time has passed, my tastes have diverged pretty far from the radio, and somehow music is less and less a topic among my friends.  Or, which radio I find my music from has changed.  I realize I have actually bought quite a few CDs as a result of reviews on NPR.  OMG!  Really  ?!?!  NPR is a source of my music?  Why yes, and I think they have pretty good tastes in music and love their "tiny desk" concerts.  Here is a link to Adele's Tiny Desk Concert this past February:



Yes, I have a teenage daughter, and occasionally she will introduce me to some new music I like...occasionally.  Another way I find new music is by paying attention to the opening acts of concerts I attend.  I came to enjoy Over The Rhine when they opened for the Cowboy Junkies, and Lucy Wainwright Roche when she opened for Over the Rhine.  I'm guessing this thread will go on.

So, my new CDs are: "Mercy Now",Mary Gauthier; "Courier", Richard Shindell and "Little Red Boots, Lindi Ortega.  Mary Gauthier and Richard Shindell will be on the Roots on the Narrow Gauge train trip this fall with Over The Rhine.  So it is like I'm paying attention in advance to opening or complimenting acts.  And Lindi Ortega?  I heard her album reviewed on...NPR of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment