Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Things that make you go hmmm.

I sat down this morning to write a blog referencing an article in yesterday's Oregonian that said Oregon incomes, during the recession, didn't fall as fast and nor as far as incomes in the rest of the country.  I liked this seemingly positive nugget in what can sometimes be a downer of a subject.  As I always do when referencing an article, I went on line to read it again and link to it.

Imagine my surprise when I found the article had been "amended" to say the complete opposite;

"Portland-area incomes fell faster and farther during the recession than national per capita income. And as Oregon takes longer to recover, incomes here continue to lag the national average as well as similar cities such as Seattle, Denver and Minneapolis." 

You can read the full article here.  And if you scroll down from the top, you'll see Tuesday's article below.

Wow.  I know how we interpret data can vary greatly. I can't though, help but be struck by this absolute switcheroo.  Had I not been looking into the article, I'd be walking around a bit more optimistic than usual at the thought that Oregonians haven't faired all that poorly.

hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment